MURRAY WOMAN’S CLUB
Executive Committee Meeting
July 5, 2010
The Executive Committee of the Murray Woman’s Club met on Monday, July 5, 2010. President Bobbie Weatherly called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m. and asked the recording secretary to call the roll. Fourteen Board members were present. Home and Sigma departments did not have representation.
The president asked the review committee for approval of the minutes of the June 2010 Board meeting. The minutes were approved and filed for record.
Bobbie Weatherly, president, reviewed the goals for the next two years, admonishing the departments to seek new members. She also dealt with the following items of business:
1. GFWC/KFWC Summer Expo. The dates are July 9-10. Six MWC members will attend. She asked that those planning to attend meet with her after the business meeting.
2. Yearbook. Linda Scott needs the information about departmental programs for the coming year, as well as any other changes which should be made in their member information as soon as possible.
3. The president announced the Standing Committee appointments and the special committee appoints for 2010.
Advisory: Cynthia Barnes
Auditing: Dorinda Craig
Civic/Recycl.: Lois Pharris
Computer Specialist: Tracey Wortham
Finance: Linda Stahl
Legislative: Kay Ray
Membership/Mentoring: Gay Evans
Press Book: Rene Brittain,Joetta Kelley
Publicity: Megan Haverstock
Yearbook: Linda Scott
Commun.Improvement/Involve. Renee Howell, Cathy Mathis
Education : Wanda Johnson
Empowering Women :Marlene Beach
NO School: Lillian Robertson
Women & Children’s Health: Tory Daughrity
History: Lois Pharris, Neva Grey AlbrittenJuniorettes: Gay Evans, Lisa Kim
4. Legislative Committee. Kay Ray, chairwoman of the committee fell and will have surgery on July 12. The president asked for volunteers to serve in planning food for the Forum. Those volunteering were Kathy Jo Stubblefield, Gale Vinson Martha Joiner, and Virginia Randolph.
5. State and County Annual Reports. Cathy Pigg has filed the required forms for the coming year and paid the fees.
Linda Cherry, first vice-president, announced that the date for the first General Meeting of MWC will be September 25. The speaker will be from Animal Rescue. This meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. and is a Salad Supper.
The treasurer’s report for June 2010 will be presented at the August Board meeting.
Kathy Jo Stublefield, second vice-president,said she will e-mail information about contest categories,requirements, etc.to department chairwomen as soon as she receives it. They will need to disseminate that information and the entry forms to their members.
BRIEF DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS:
Creative Arts Plans to meet Monday, August, at 9:30 a.m. to organize their fundraiser.
Delta Guest speaker for August meeting will be Jamie Smith who will discuss cervical and breast cancer.
Garden Met at MSU Arboretum with Dr. Pat Williams, director. First meeting of the new year will be in August.
Kappa Planning Tour of Homes
Music Made a $___ donation for Club House roof repairs and $___ to Relay for Life.
Sigma Department has 3 new members and one former member returning.
Zeta Department has 1 new member.
Cynthia Barnes reported 3 July rentals, 2 September rentals, and 1 October rental. She also reported the following repairs:
1. Downstairs storm door repaired.
2. Scheduled Club House workday for August 21 9-11 a.m. Send the president an e-mail if you plan to come . Bring your cleaning gloves and be dressed to work cleaning or painting inside the Club House.
3. Arranging for removal of tree from Club House yard. She indicated that David Proctor will only be cleaning the Club House floors now.
The president presented the report for this committee. A special Recruitment Day will be held on August 15 from 3-4:00 p.m. at the Club House. She reminded department chairwomen that this event is a special opportunity to introduce prospective members to the different departments. Each department should have a card table set up upstairs with information about special functions and programs in which that group of women participate during the year. At least one woman needs to be at that table during the Open House. She also encouraged Board members to consider sending written invitations to those whom they think are good prospects.
Bobbie Weatherly said that the first meeting was held and four girls attended. The decision was made to postpone other meetings until school starts. She said that interest remains high for this group.
Pat Harrington announced that the committee is reviewing the current By-Laws and will be ready to present their recommendations to the Board in September.
Martha Crafton reminded the Board members that cookbooks at still available.
The president asked the Board to note the upcoming events listed on the Agenda sheet, emphasizing Showcase MWC August 15 and the first General Meeting on September 23 at 6 p.m.
The next Board Meeting will be August 2. NOTE CHANGE OF DATE FOR SEPTEMBER MEETING. The scheduled September meeting will be held on August 30 because of Labor Day holidays.
Since there was no additional business, the president adjourned the meeting
at 7:20 p.m.